Monday, August 28, 2006

The Kyle MacDonald Interview - One Red Paperclip

TDK: What was your best trade ever ?
KYLE: red paperclip for a fish pen.

TDK: What was your worst trade ever?
KYLE: haven't made a bad trade!

TDK: Do you ever play poker?
KYLE: I've played it once or twice. Don't really like it. Much more of a "Go Fish" or "Crazy Eights" fan myself.

TDK: Why the paper clip?
KYLE: first thing I saw when I thought of the idea.

TDK: Was it all your Idea?
KYLE: no, I stole it from a kids game called bigger and better. I just put it on the internet.

TDK: Did this start out as a personal wager between you and a friend?
Like… I bet you can't do it
KYLE: no, I just wanted to see if it was possible.

TDK: Name something that you have in common with most of the world?
You know, what can label you as normal.
KYLE: My mom still cuts my hair.

TDK: What makes you different from the rest of the world?
Yeah, what would make people say Freak.
KYLE: My mom still cuts my hair.

TDK: With 14 trades from paper clip to house, that is a pretty good take.
Ever consider becoming a stock trader?
KYLE: nope.

TDK: What is the biggest selling item on your site?
KYLE: i dont' sell anything on my site.

TDK: If you could choose any profession in the world and instantly assume the talent or skills required to be successful. What would you want to be or do professionally?
KYLE: Freelance internet trader.

TDK: What do you think about Mark Cuban? http://sharesleuth.com/ He is going to influence stocks by his investigations and reports.
KYLE: I read his blog because he "shoots from the hip" and speaks for real. I have no idea about his outlooks on stocks or investments.

TDK: Favorite villain?
KYLE: Skeletor.

TDK: If you could pull of one crime, one time, with absolutely no chance of getting caught. What would it be and why?
KYLE: Speeding.

TDK: Who do you admire in the internet world?
KYLE: It's easy to answer email questionaires on the fly. I'm in Northern Ontario right now. Kenora. My girlfriend is driving. I'm riding shotgun. Trees are flying past. Way better than standing at a phone booth or something.

TDK: Do you plan on doing another trading adventure soon?
KYLE: Sure, we'll see!

TDK: You said that you were going to write a book?
a) More than one?
b) About what?
KYLE: About trading a red paperclip for a house.

TDK: About the paper clip trading, do you think anyone else could do it now?
I mean, it's been done, been there done that type of thing. Do you think there is still enough interest out there for someone to make it happen again?
KYLE: Sure, somebody'll figure out a way to do it again. They'll have to innovate to make it catch on though.

TDK: If you could have kept one of your other trades with the house what would it be and why?
KYLE: Nothing. It was all about trading up to the house.

TDK: Plans for the future. More trades, stocks maybe, merchandise, writing books, retire?
KYLE: You name it, I'll probably end up doing it. Trading stocks is probably my lowest of priorities though...

kyle

Thanks for the email interview Kyle!
The Dollar Kidd.

No comments: