Monday, November 26, 2007

Saving the United States of America

That's right Saving America.

I don't see a war or terrorism taking over America. I see an industrial buy-out.
Here is some history to my frustration.
I was recently looking into buying a used vehicle, because new is not in the budget. Some friends asked me what are you going to buy? I said Chevy, I am a pretty loyal Chevy owner. And even talking NASCAR with friends and Gibbs going to Toyota next year. Our Automakers, what were once the BIG THREE, are all struggling, and I know that they own some or most of the credit themselves for their situation. I am first bringing up the auto industry, because the company I work for is in the supply chain.

Being somewhat of a hypocrit, I work for a foreign owned company, but a guy has to live, right? At the same time I am not quitting or asking anyone else to quit. I like my job, but it is not the career of my dreams either.

Another instance is China, making products at ridiculously low costs. They haven't affected us too much since we can receive an order and ship it to the customer faster than they can float it here, and in automotive timing is high on the priority list.

Now to get to my point.
Each and everyday we as American need to consider the long term effects of us constantly buying foreign products. Even when there is a equal quality product made right here in the United States. Which is a good arguement with automotive, I think.

Everyone has seen the email about; I got up by my alarm clock made in Taiwan, coffee maker is made in Hong Kong, clothes made in foreign sweat shop, put on your swiss watch, drive your foreign car to work for a foreign company. The email is actually much longer and more detailed, but you get the idea.

I know many things are rare or impossible to find made in the U.S.A. However, our auto market isa good place to put your American dollar. Two things that are struggling, the dollar and our auto makers. The great rivalry of the past was Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Now it has become just a redneck arguement or a folk tale. Maybe I am just a redneck in hiding. But often buying American is not even considered. You might say, "Well my Toyota, or Mazda will run forever." Who knows what th reasons are, but those who can afford to buy new, usually don't even keep them half way thru the warranty.

Well I am afraid that in our lifetime, we won't have the option to buy the good old American Cars and Trucks. Sure they might be American made Toyotas, Nissans and Mazdas. Imagine the Daytona 500 racing Nissans, Isuzus, mazdas and Toyota who is already in it. And when we buy foreign autos, where does that money go? Back to the home land.
Does anyone know how much American soil is owned by foreign countries? Is it possible that Japan has more land in the U.S.A. than in Japan?

Who's country will it be when we don't own the land anymore? If you own rental property, you can set rules in a lease and have overall control of that land. Well when American soil is no longer owned by Americans, who will run the land? Those who own it, that's who!

you tell me!

-TDK

No comments: